Minutes, July 26, 2005

Bear River Community Meeting
Tuesday July 26th, 7:30 pm at the Oakdene Centre

Present: Rob Buckland-Nicks, John and Susan Malmstrom, Andrew Riddles, Cindy Harris, Pamela Barron, Don Rice, Tim Wilson, Hal Theriault, Chris Hutchins, Suzette Delmage , Paula Hicks.

1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 7:30pm.

2. New Business:

a) Formation of a non-profit society:
• Cindy presented the documents the committee needs to complete to be registered as a non-profit society. Five members signatures are required as part of the documentation.
The five members who signed the documentation are:
1. John Malmstrom
2. Rob Buckland-Nicks
3. Don Rice
4. Cynthia Harris
5. Pamela Barron
• There is a group on file with Societies which has the name Bear River Development Committee; if one of their executive writes a letter indicating that they are no longer a functioning group, our newly formed group can register their name as the Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society (BRIDGS)
• Don Rice agreed to approach one of the past members of the committee and ask them to write a letter indicating that their group is now defunct.

b) Appointing of interim officers:
• the following members will serves as interim officers:

Chairperson John Malmstrom
Vice-Chair Tim Wilson will be asked if he is interested in taking on this position
Secretary Suzette Delmage
Treasurer Suzette will take on this position until someone with appropriate experience is appointed

MOTION: Motion made by John Malmstrom, seconded by Andrew Riddles, that the members accept these names as interim officers. CARRIED.

• John handed out a list of duties and responsibilities for officers as a guideline which can be used by the society.
• John will act as the recognized agent for the society ie. His address will be used if the committee is served with documents and his address will be used as the contact mailing address for the society.

c) Mission and Vision Statement

• John’s mission statement can be used a working template but for purposes of presenting our mission statement to funding groups, Rob’s shorter, more concise version will be used.

• Hal passed out a proposal for review by members that summarizes the vision and goals of the society and could be used when approaching funding bodies.

• Main funder would likely be ACOA (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency).

• Hal Theriault passed out a summary paper for review, based on the discussion from the past two meetings regarding the society’s goals and project vision.

d) Outreach to Community Groups

“Two tiers” of community groups were identified that should be approached as soon as possible regarding the formation of BRIDGS and their purpose in the community:

1st Tier
BREDS
Board of Trade
Fire Department
Oakdene Centre
Bear River Legion

Recommendations:
• Cindy & Don should be part of the group which approaches the 1st tier as they are longstanding residents and recognized in the community.
• Andrew and/or Susan will talk to the President of the Board of Trade before a presentation is made to their group.
• Paula will approach the Oakdene Board and BREDS .
• Susan will talk to Mary Golding – Ladies Auxiliary of the Legion
• The first approach will be a very informal meeting or discussion; BRIDGS will then ask to make a presentation to each group.
• Need to find out what the meeting dates are for each of these groups
• Eventually we will need to approach the 2 municipal units (Digby/Annapolis); Hal with his previous experience could assist with this; should be done sometime in the Fall

Preparation for the Next Meeting:
• John will prepare an agenda to be used at future meetings.
• E-mail John for any additions to the agenda.
• Completion of forms for the formation of the Non-Profit Society.
• Discussion of Hal’s proposal/vision document.

Next Meeting:
Tuesday August 2 at 7:30 pm at the Oakdene Centre.

Meeting Adjourned:
Meeting of BRIDGS adjourned at 9:00pm.

Advertisements