MINUTES OF THE BRIDGS MEETING
Tuesday August 30th, 7:30 pm
At the Oakdene Centre
Present: John and Susan Malmstrom, Andrew Riddles, Cindy Harris, Mary Harris, Hal Theriault, Suzette Delmage , Chris Hutchins, Pamela and George Barron, Don Rice, Rob Buckland, Jane Kingston, Paula Hicks, Shirley Isles (Bear River Action Committee), Laurel Shishkov.
1. Call to Order
• Meeting called to order by Chairperson John Malmstrom at 7:30pm.
2. Introductions/Call for Presentations & Delegations
3. Adoption of Agenda
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris, seconded by Andrew Riddles to approve the agenda. CARRIED.
4. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris, seconded by Don Rice to approve and adopt the Minutes of the August 23, 2005 meeting. CARRIED.
5. Presentations & Delegations
• Shirley Isles and Paula Hicks (Bear River Action Committee)
• BRAC has established a relationship with the local police; main role of BRAC is to give the public information on crime prevention initiatives; are also working to
develop youth programs
• Cooperation with the police has been better on the Digby County side, but Bridgetown serves the Annapolis side and has much slower response time
• Part of problems stems back to 87/88 when policing boundary was changed; Digby used to service up to Moose River up until this time
• John, Paula & Shirley will set up a meeting with community officers and/or staff sergeants to discuss community security and policing issues in Bear River
6. Continuing Business
a. Outreach to Community Groups
• BREDS – Paula Hicks representing BREDS; they would like to have a presentation
(Hal & Paula to decide on date)
• Historical Society presentation; meet at Museum on Monday Sept. 19, Hal & another BRIDGS representative
• Oakdene and Firehall both meet on Tuesday Sept. 13; Cindy and Don to present to Oakdene, John and Rob to present to Fire Dept.
b. Changing regular meetings to every 2nd Tuesday
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris, seconded by Rob Buckland to have the BRIDGS regular meetings every second Tuesday of the month instead of every Tuesday. CARRIED.
c. Relationship of BRIDGS and BOT
• As a sub-committee of BOT, BRIDGS become members of BOT and BOT has ultimate control
• What other board structures are possible? Suzette will research possible options: i.e. Associate Board vs Sub-Committee, etc.
• When presenting business plan, it will be important to show cohesion and support of groups in the community
• Consensus is that BRIDGS would like to remain an independent body
• Need support of the municipalities: can BRIDGS gain support of municipalities as an independent body?
• Need to present to BOT as soon as possible to seek their support
• John and Hal will present to the BOT on Thursday Sept. 8 at 8:00 pm; Don, Susan and Jane will also be in attendance
d. Business Plan
• Options are to pay someone to put together our business plan, or put together our own using expertise of the BRIDGS group
• Economic Development may have some funding available to help in the development of a business plan; Hal will investigate
7. New Business
a. Water Supply in Bear River
• Hal had opportunity to talk to Annapolis County representative
• Political powers are aware of the situation in Bear River; last study was done 10 years ago and is considered out of date
• Suggest a formal request to the Warden and Municipal Council to do a feasibility study to investigate development of a central water supply for Bear River; reference could be made to the possible water supplies Bobby Benson has suggested
• Andrew will approach BOT re: drafting a letter to Annapolis and Digby counties regarding water feasibility study
8. Next Meeting
• The next meeting will be re-scheduled to Wednesday September 14th at the Oakdene Centre at 7:30pm, to accommodate the community presentations on September 13th.
Topics: Structure of BRIDGS, Outcome of Community Presentations, Business Plan
MOTION: Motion made by Cindy Harris, seconded by Andrew Riddles that the August 30th meeting of BRIDGS be adjourned at 9:00pm. CARRIED.