Bear River Community Meeting
Tuesday, October 4, 7:30 PM at the Oakdene Centre
Present: John and Susan Malmstrom, Andrew Riddles, Cindy Harris, Jane Kingston,Pam Barron, Greg McKenzie, Hal Theriault, Jay and Sheryl Stone, Wayne Smith, Jeremy Morine, John Harris, David Ottos, Tim Wilson, Don Rice, Suzette Delmage.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
2. Continuing Business:
a) Community Outreach – Meeting Presentations & Delegations
• BREDS: Cindy, John and Hal attended; group is very supportive.
• Ladies Auxiliary of the Legion: John & Hal will attend meeting on Oct. 6th.
• United Church women’s group: Jane is part of this group; meet on Thursday & will set-up suitable presentation time.
• Bear River Health Clinic, Judy Isles: Meeting is tonight; will decide if they want a presentation; have been sent a copy of the vision statement.
b) Police Contact
• Constable Dale Guy, Community Policing, Annapolis County, met with John and is very supportive in trying to work with BRIDGS group re: policing issues.
• For ATV related problems there are provincial & regional enforcement contacts:
John A. Mombourquette
Director, Enforcement Division, Dept. of Natural Resources
P. O. Box 698
Halifax, NS B3J 2T9
Kerry Miller – Regional Enforcement Coordinator, Dept. Of Natural Resources
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
c) Town Meeting
• Proposed date of Tuesday November 8 for an open public meeting
• Suggested structure could be smaller working groups; then present ideas to the larger group
• Need to answer question: What is BRIDGS relationship to other community groups?
• Discussion of who we have presented to and response from other groups
• Have an “info page” for facilitators so we are consistent in our information
• Provide opportunity for follow-up and invite participants to future meetings.
• Sub-Committee formed to plan town meeting: Hal, Don, Susan, Tim
• How will we promote and advertise the meeting?
o John will approach newspaper editors for press coverage
o Tim will work on a flyer
o 535 mailing addresses: need to determine how flyers will be distributed
• Meeting to include: Introduction to BRIDGS, Vision Statement (emphasize that the vision is in the draft stages & will evolve over time), provide timelines for future action.
• Meeting sub-committee will confirm the final date for the meeting.
d) Introduction to youth representatives – Wayne, Jeremy, John & David
• Youth have expressed an interest in getting involved; town meeting could include a youth table to get youth ideas & opinions
• BRIDGS could provide assistance to Oakdene Centre in developing facilities & programs for youth
• Youth ideas:
• Oakdene should be open at least one day or night
• Youth coffeehouses were successful in the past
• Youth need assistance with issues such as insurance, funding sources, supervisors/chaperones for activities
• Youth need a place to meet – such as a club or coffeehouse
• Would like to play pool – need access to pool table or pool hall
• Importance of job creation for youth and young adults in the community
e) Funding contacts
• Pat McQuade (Annapolis County) and Jimmy McAlpine (Deputy Warden, Municipality of Digby) are both supportive of BRIDGS ideas
• Louise Watson from Economic Development has sent Hal a guide to developing a business or strategic plan
• Mike Comeau of ACOA (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) is supportive; ACOA will finance tourism or marketing initiatives & can also assist in providing a financial consultant
• Projects of $5,000 or under, ACOA chooses the person to help develop the strategy; projects of $30,000. or over, there must be 3 bids submitted.
• Hal will meet with Keith Robichaud ( CAO for County of Annapolis) on Friday
• Need to present a united front with support of all community members
2. New Business
a) Filling of Secretary Position
• Suzette will no longer be able to continue in the role of Secretary/Treasurer
• Susan Malmstrom has agreed to act as Secretary for the interim
• Jane Kingston will act as Treasurer until someone is found to fill the position
b) BREDS community meeting re: Trading Post building and restaurant shutting
• BRIDGS position is to remain an independent observer; individually members are free to attend meetings and stay informed
• Things we can learn from the BREDS experience:
➢ Keep citizens well-informed about our activities
➢ Establish a single point of contact for outside communications
➢ Contracts need to be complete and pass legal scrutiny
➢ Provide clear information and explanation about who we are
and what we are trying to do
➢ All committee members should know and understand the Mission Statement, Bylaws of the organization, etc.
4. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris, seconded by Pam Barron to approve and adopt the Minutes of the September 20, 2005 meeting. CARRIED.
5. Next Meeting
• The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 18th at the Bear River First Nation Cultural Centre at 7:30 PM.
MOTION: Motion made by John Malmstrom , seconded by Andrew Riddles that the September 20th meeting of BRIDGS be adjourned at 9:30 PM. CARRIED.