Minutes, November 22, 2005

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Bear River First Nations Cultural Center

Present: Cindy Harris, Jane Kingston, John & Susan Malmstrom, Andrew Riddles, Hal Theriault, Jeremy Morine, David Isles, Don Rice, Mary Harris, Tim Wilson, Carol Dibble, Jenny Stewart, Wanda Atwell.

1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3. New Business
Directors and Officers Insurance: It was noted that we will probably not need to take out an insurance policy to protect board members from liability as recently enacted legislation makes it unnecessary. We will keep this in mind as we move forward with our incorporation as a society.

Attending BRIDGS for the first time: Carol Dibble, Jenny Stewart and Wanda Atwell. All were welcomed.

Follow-up to the Community Meeting: Overall, it was felt that there was positive energy and much enthusiasm exhibited at the meeting. The comments that were received from attendees were reviewed by the Meeting Subcommittee (see attached). Susan and Hal felt that the next step was to incorporate the submitted suggestions into the vision plan, and to add those who expressed an interest in volunteering to our mailing and email lists. Hal reported that Harold Theriault, Jr., our MLA in attendance at the meeting, offered his assistance without reservation, and was impressed by the Community Meeting; we’ll keep him apprised as we move forward.

Water Meeting: It was noted that there was a meeting (simultaneous to ours) that was being held to address the ongoing village water problem. John noted that member Andrew Riddles, who is also Chair of the Water Board, was attending that meeting on our behalf and will make a report to us regarding their discussion.

Board Structure: MOTION: Moved by Tim Wilson that the Board complete the formal steps necessary to formalize the legal operating status of BRIDGS as a non-profit society. Seconded by Jane Kingston. CARRIED. Cindy noted that since our paperwork was begun a few months back, we should start the process over. She will try to bring the necessary forms to the next meeting.

Interim Executive Committee: BRIDGS has been operating with an interim Executive Committee consisting of John Malmstrom, Chair; Tim Wilson, Vice Chair; Susan Malmstrom, Secretary; and Jane Kingston, Treasurer. There was a call for discussion as to whether these members should continue to serve in these roles. (Don requested that copies of the Mission Statement be distributed to those who were not familiar with it.) There was also discussion as to how long officers should serve; the suggestion of one-year terms was put forward. This will be outlined in our by-laws, which should be drafted as soon as possible. Jane and Susan expressed that they would like to be replaced if anyone would like to serve in these roles. Jenny suggested that the term “acting” be added to their titles to indicate that these positions are essentially open.
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris that the first year Executive Committee of BRIDGS consist of: John Malmstrom, Chair; Tim Wilson, Vice Chair; Susan Malmstrom, Acting Secretary; and Jane Kingston, Acting Treasurer. Seconded by Jeremy Morine. CARRIED.

4. Subcommittee Meeting Presentations
Youth Subcommittee:
The Subcommittee has been informed by BREDS that there is space available for the Coffeehouse. The exact terms of occupation (such as heat, insurance, rent) will be worked out soon.
The Subcommittee is working on plans for various fundraisers, including a bottle and can drive. Wanda noted that she was specifically in attendance to speak to the Subcommittee following the meeting, as she is working with Annapolis County on recreation programs and would like to feature what they are accomplishing in an upcoming newsletter.
Other suggestions included talking to Alliant about a package phone service deal and the Superstore for donations of coffee and other items (they should specifically speak to Verona at the Digby store). John noted that the Subcommittee should stress that they are requesting donations for a non-profit society whenever they approach anyone about in-kind goods and services.
The proposed mid-December official opening of the coffeehouse may be pushed back, depending on the construction timeline. It was noted that BREDS have expressed enthusiasm for this project. We will need to be diligent about the chaperoning process. Jane said that it will be necessary for all chaperones to be officially screened through the RCMP, and that we should get BRIDGS on the list to do this as soon as possible.

5. Other Business
Fundraising and Partnerships
Hal followed up on working out a partnership between BRIDGS and Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council, through their “ready to work” skills building program. It will be held at the First Nations Centre to tie-in partnerships such as those between BRIDGS and First Nations. We will also try and use the Trading Post when possible (after May) for other programs.
Weymouth Renovations: Hal wanted to share the ongoing program of renewal and renovation that is happening in the village of Weymouth, as they share many of the same obstacles to renewal as Bear River (i.e. split county jurisdictions). After forming a committee in 1996 and putting together a vision and mission similar to ours, they have now received substantial funding for infrastructure revitalization, and we can learn from their example.
Among the next steps we will need to take are putting together a strategic plan and a feasibility study. Hal has collected materials from Canadian Tourism and other offices to begin looking at applications to fund a strategic plan. We may need to hire someone to create a business plan for BRIDGS. It was suggested that a bullet-pointed, chronological listing of the next steps we need to now follow to officially launch fundraising be created.
Strengthening our ties with the other organizations in the village is vital, and we need to work on recruiting members as representatives from these groups. Jane will contact people at the Oakdene and BREDS to become members. We should also find out if BRIDGS can publish calls for volunteers and meeting attendance in the Tributary.

6. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Tim Wilson, seconded by Cindy Harris to approve and adopt the Minutes of the November 8, 2005 meeting with the following spelling change: “Keith Robichaux” to replace “Keith Robichaud.” CARRIED.

7. Next Meeting
December 6, at 7:30 pm at the Bear River First Nations Cultural Centre. (Please note:
we will be meeting at the Cultural Centre, not the Band Hall, through the winter.)

8. Adjournment
Motion made by Susan Malmstrom for adjournment, seconded by Hal Theriault.
CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM.

Advertisements