Minutes, January 24, 2006

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Bear River First Nations Cultural Center

Present:  Cindy Harris, John & Susan Malmstrom, Andrew Riddles, Hal Theriault, Jeremy Morine, David Isles, Jay & Cheryl Stone, Jane Kingston, Don Rice.  Guests: Tom Haynes Paton and Leslie Frederichs.

1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3.  Special Guests: at the meeting were Tom Haynes Paton and Leslie Frederichs, who presented information on a new, non-profit start-up business with the goal of introducing effective microbes to gardeners and farmers to rejuvenate their compost piles.  For those interested, please contact them via email: ematlanticcanada@hotmail.com.

4. New Business
Joint Stock Status: Joint Stock Status: Our paperwork needed slight revisions, including new by-laws pertaining to conflict of interest issues.  These revisions were made and the paperwork returned to Halifax, since time is of the essence in receiving our status approval.

Water & Sewage Issues: On January 26, the wardens, CAOs, and councillors of Digby and Annapolis will hold a meeting to discuss the ongoing issue of solving our water and sewage problems.  Hal and John will attend to represent BRIDGS.  The meeting will take place at 3 PM in the Digby Municipal Building.
Don suggested that BRIDGS invite the councillors of Digby and Annapolis to a meeting here to walk them through the village to insure that they are aware of the state of things.

5.  Subcommittee Meeting Presentations
Youth Subcommittee:
Coffeehouse: So far, $98 from ticket sales on the quilt raffle has been raised; $34 on the Valentine’s Day Basket.  More donations of furniture have also come through, including a piano from Paula Hicks and a music console.
We need to have RCMP-screened chaperones standing by when the coffeehouse opens; Jane volunteered that she has already been through the process.   Susan will look into the process and will get the word out to those who have signed on as chaperones.
Hal has been in contact with Andre Bouchard and Deb Ryan of Annapolis Recreation regarding outside activity opportunities for young people.  We will try and loop the Oakdene (who received a Recreation Nova Scotia grant) in on this issue.  Also, a “ReGeneration Symposium” is scheduled for March 24-26.  Hal will share more information on this as it is available.
BRIDGS should receive a discount on liability insurance based on our non-profit status.  As soon as our status is approved, we can approach  Recreation Nova Scotia about this.

6. Video Presentation: Hal shared with those present a recently produced video on successfully sustaining and maintaining a public youth centre.  The focus was on  mentorship, community support and sustainable energy.  Those present felt that the video made some excellent points, particularly with regard to making certain that those being served (the youth) are the ones who are determining what is offered and always have a say in how the centre is run.

7. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION:  Moved by Andrew Riddles, seconded by Cindy Harris to approve and adopt the Minutes of the January 10, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.

8.  Next Meeting: TBA.

9.  Adjournment
Motion made by Cindy Harris for adjournment, seconded by Jane Kingston.  CARRIED.  Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Advertisements