Minutes, March 29, 2006

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
Tuesday, March 29, 2006
Bear River First Nations Cultural Center

Present:  Cindy Harris, Jane Kingston, John & Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, David Isles, Don Rice, Rob Buckland, Tiiu Poder, Mary Golding, Glendean Parker.  Special Guests: Cameron Smith, Bear River Fire Hall; Deputy Warden Jimmy McAlpine, Municipality of Digby; Cpl. Ron Koknevicius, RCMP, Digy Detachment; Carol White, Hillsburg United Church.

1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3. New Business
Hillsburg United Church Donation:  Carol White presented David Isles with a check from the Church in the amount of $125 towards the launch of the Youth Centre.
Fire Hall Presentation:  Cameron Smith of the Bear River Fire Hall made a presentation regarding the ongoing need for additional volunteers for the Fire Hall’s regular duties and programs, and the additional need for workers when the Cherry Carnival planning gets underway for this year’s event (slated for July 15).  The following are opportunities for BRIDGS members to get involved:
i)    Regular firefighting duties, including truck and hall maintenance
ii)    Breakfast Fundraiser—First Saturday of every month: serving, cooking. dishwashing, etc.
iii)    Cherry Carnival: need help with the auction, manning booths, picking up garbage, giving directions, managing crowds, running other errands as needed
iv)    Junior Firefighters: this is a new initiative that the Fire Hall is launching to get youth involved and line up potential future firefighters.  BRIDGS may also be able to help with creating a youth float for the Cherry Carnival with the Junior Firefighters.
Please contact Cameron any time to volunteer: 467-0440, or email: bearriverfd@pitzo.com.  Don suggested that the Fire Hall keep running notices in the Tributary to try and attract more volunteers.
Meeting Dates: Susan suggested an alternative to the current twice-monthly meeting schedule.  It was proposed that the officers meet ahead of each monthly meeting to formulate the agenda and take care of regular, ongoing duties.  This would necessitate the entire Board to only need to convene once per month.  MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris to convene the officers once per month, to precede a monthly meeting by the full board.  Seconded by Jane Kingston.  CARRIED.
New Treasurer: Wayne Smith has offered to step in as Treasurer, to take over for Jane who was Acting Treasurer.  When Wayne returns from Ontario, the other officers will meet with him to open a checking account and establish signing authority.  MOTION: Moved by Rob Buckland that the Offices of Chair, Vice Chair or Treasurer will have signing authority, any two of the three signatures being necessary to issue a check on behalf of BRIDGS.  Seconded by Don Rice.  CARRIED.  (Other duties of the Treasurer will include establishing and maintaining a current balance sheet, drafting proposed budgets, implementing an annual audit, and creating a receipt system for donations.)
Health Centre: The question was raised as to what BRIDGS might do for the Health Centre, which recently suffered a devastating fire.  Currently, their board is waiting to hear from their insurance company.  Hal and Susan had recently attended their annual general meeting, where Hal suggested that they contact the Job Creation Partnership to hire a manager via federal funding.  The South West Health Authority recently turned them down for a proposal for an employee. Jimmy and Brian Coker (their board member) met to discuss the rebuilding effort.    Hal will contact Shirley Isles to see if they need assistance with writing proposals.  BRIDGS can also offer any letters of support that might help.  Glendean said that the Ladies Auxiliary of the Legion will organize a benefit on the Centre’s behalf, and that BRIDGS members could help with this, along with the Fire Hall, Board of Trade, and the local churches.
Water & Sewage Issues: Jimmy announced that the proposed Water Study (critically important for the area) has been approved and added to this year’s budget and  is definitely on the Municipalities’ schedule.  Once funding is secured for the project, which will involve many upgrades and adjustments, it will be put forward for tender.

4.  Subcommittee Meeting Presentations
Youth Subcommittee:
David presented the latest fundraising report, as well as a draft of a monthly budget proposal.  Other potential revenue streams: Malmstrom Studios will donate (up to) $100 in a match challenge grant to other local art studios; Jane (along with Bonnie Macleod) created and donated a garden/spring-themed basket for raffle—David will contact Sobey’s to set up a donation table day; Rob has donated 2 bicycles which after repair, might be rented out to tourists this summer; bottle drives were discussed, with Jimmy offering advice to make them a success (pre-publicity is key—along with a central donation centre and 4 or 5 trucks).  Jimmy also advised BRIDGS to submit a financial report and project budget in the form of a proposal to both municipalities, which he would support.  Rob also suggested a for-charge service to pick up materials for recycling or proper disposal.
Liability insurance for the Youth Centre is the priority expense for BRIDGS that will be aquired as soon as enough funding is secured, Jane having completed the research to identify the appropriate insurer.  Once this hurdle is passed, we will be able to launch the Centre.

5.  Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION:  Moved by Jane Kingston, seconded by Rob Buckland to approve and adopt the Minutes of the January 24, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.

6.  Next Meeting
May 10, at 7:30 pm at the Bear River First Nations Cultural Centre.

7.  Adjournment
Motion made by Cindy Harris for adjournment, seconded by Rob Buckland.
CARRIED.  Meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM.

Advertisements