Minutes, May 10, 2006

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
May 10, 2006
Bear River First Nations Cultural Center

Present: Cindy Harris, John & Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, David Isles, Don Rice, Rob Buckland, George Barron, Tim Wilson, Julian Graham, Wayne Smith.

1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3. New Business
Executive Committee Minutes: were read by Secretary Susan Malmstrom.
BRIDGS Liaisons: as per the suggestion of the Executive Committee, it was decided that a good way to connect with the other organizations in town was to assign BRIDGS members to act as go-betweens for these groups. The liaisons don’t need to attend the other groups’ meetings, although many of them are already doing this; they only need to contact the group prior to a BRIDGS general meeting to see if the other organization has any concerns that they would like to see raised at our meeting. The assignments are: Fire Hall: Cindy Harris, Oakdene: Cindy Harris, BREDS: Rob Buckland, Health Centre: Don Rice, Legion: Susan Malmstrom.
New Member: Julian Graham, a supporter of the Youth Centre, was welcomed as he joined us for the first time.
Treasurer’s Report: Wayne Smith presented his initial report. John suggested that in future reports, noting pending receipts and debits would be helpful. George suggested that it might be worthwhile to research the pros and cons of charitable status for the organization. Cindy offered to look into this for the next meeting. MOTION to accept the Treasurer’s Report made by Wayne Smith, seconded by Cindy Harris. CARRIED.

4. Youth Centre: Power still needs to be hooked up and the toilet installed. John offered to come by and get this done. Supplies need to be purchased. Rob suggested approaching Wilson’s Hardware to see if they could donate supplies, or sell them to us at a discount; Hal offered to look into this. Equipment, signage and programming were discussed at length. John and Hal will contact Andre Bouchard for assistance. We cannot have anyone other than board members in the space, however, until liability insurance has been purchased. We are still waiting for membership status from Recreation Nova Scotia, so that we can get insurance through them at a discounted rate.

5. Strategic Development Plan: John and Hal met with Louise Watson of the Office of Economic Development. They will provide funding for the initial investment of $10,000. The estimate for the overall cost may be around $30,000. We will have to put this out to tender. It will be necessary to have the endorsement of both the municipalities to proceed with the plan, via a token amount of funding. John and Hal are scheduled to present to the Municipality of Annapolis on May 16. The strategic plan is a critical step for moving BRIDGS forward; we cannot secure any kind of substantial funding without it. Hal is also conducting ongoing research of cultural and tourism grant opportunities.

6. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris, seconded by Don Rice to approve and adopt the Minutes of the March 29, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.

7. Next Meeting
June 14, at 7:30 pm at the Youth Centre (Trading Post).

8. Adjournment
Motion made by Tim Wilson for adjournment, seconded by Susan Malmstrom.
CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Advertisements