Minutes, July 12, 2006

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
July 12, 2006,
Youth Centre (Trading Post Building)

Present: Cindy Harris, John & Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, Don Rice, Pamela & George Barron, Barbara Graham, Glendean Parker, Linda Stroud, Jane Kingston.

1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
MOTION to accept the Agenda made by Pamela Barron, seconded by Cindy Harris. CARRIED.

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3. New Business

Executive Committee Minutes: were read by Secretary Susan Malmstrom.

Treasurer’s Report: Wayne Smith was not present; a report will be submitted for board approval at the next general meeting.

Strategic Plan: Hal Theriault presented an update on funding for the Strategic Development Plan:
• Digby County: a check for $1,000 will be forwarded by the end of July;
• Economic Development: has pledged $10,000;
• ACOA: BRIDGS has requested $14,000.
• Annapolis County: has (verbally) pledged $1,000.
Funding through the proposed Regional Development Authority (replacing the now defunct WVDA) will need to be passed by both municipalities. BRIDGS has been advised to take no action on the Plan until we have the funding secured; this will most likely happen in the fall, after the RDA has been set up. John thanked Hal for his work on applying for these funds, and asked him to write a summary to keep the village apprised on our progress on this.

Youth Centre:
• Insurance: John thanked Jane Kingston for her work in applying for and setting up the insurance policy for the Youth Centre. Jane expressed her concern that there are not enough BRIDGS members to form subcommittees to perform the various tasks that need to be done.
• Electrical Work: Steve Trimper performed the electrical inspection and it is now ready for power. The meter for the Youth Centre is designated as Meter #1. John will contact NS Power to make sure it is turned on.
• Pre-Grand Opening: Andre Bouchard, Annapolis County’s Active Living Facilitator, will be contacted to facilitate a meeting with youth (and parents) to discuss what they would like to see offered at the Centre.
• Publicity: After the Youth Subcommittee holds their next meeting, they will contact The Tributary to submit a short update.
• Garden Basket: raised $108.

Charitable Status: Cindy Harris investigated changing our status to that of a charity. We may re-visit this at some time in the future, but it is not viable at present.

Cherry Carnival: Cindy Harris said that anyone who would like to volunteer needs to sign up at the Fire Hall. John will provide BRIDGS identification for those volunteering. If anyone from BRIDGS would like to help clean up on Sunday, there will be a group of BRIDGS members meeting at the Fire Hall at 10:00 AM.

5. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy Harris, seconded by Pamela Barron to approve and adopt the Minutes of the June 14, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.

6. Next Meeting
August 9, at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre (Trading Post).

7. Adjournment
Motion made by Don Rice for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Advertisements