(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
November 8, 2006,
Changing Tides Restaurant (Trading Post Building)
Present: Cindy Harris, John & Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, Don Rice, Tim Wilson, Gerry Chute, Wayne Smith, Rob Buckland.
1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
MOTION to accept the Agenda. CARRIED.
2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting
3. New Business: Everyone wished Hal a happy birthday.
Executive Committee Minutes: were read by Secretary Susan Malmstrom.
Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Wayne Smith submitted a report for board approval; seconded by Cindy. ACCEPTED.
Report from the Youth Centre Task Force was delivered by Hal and Gerry:
• According to the local school bus drivers, there are 200 children in our area;
• There will be a new Youth Centre committee meeting on November 10. This committee will oversee the administration of the Youth Centre for the next 6 months and will try to meet with the volunteers on a bi-weekly basis;
• Some possible events to be explored are Christmas craft making and a seasonal concert;
• Hal has submitted a proposal to Annapolis County for operational funds. We will also forward a similar proposal to Digby. Other possible funding sources are Recreation Nova Scotia and Service Canada;
• Wayne said that the budget for the Youth Centre (when it is up and running) would be approximately $600/month;
• Wayne suggested that the mandate of what is offered at the Centre should come from the youth;
• Hal met with Linda Findlay of the Oakdene Centre. They would like to partner with the Youth Committee and BRIDGS on musical events and theatrical productions.
Village Meeting: John noted that the Village Meeting/Volunteer night has been scheduled for November 27th at the Oakdene. The Oakdene is allowing us to use the facility at no charge. BRIDGS will host the event. It will be an opportunity for all of the village organizations to talk about what has been accomplished this year, and what they plan for next year. Cindy and Susan are organizing the meeting.
Strategic Development Plan: Due to the re-structure of the RDA, there have been many delays to this, and we had to re-submit our budget. The Office of Economic Development has assured us that they will provide adequate funding for the plan.
Voice of Bear River: CBC Radio will be interviewing Gerry Chute as the “voice of Bear River” to provide a report on what is currently happening here via live early morning radio every month.
Looking to 2007: Suggestions were made as to formation of new subcommittees for 2007: Communications, Board Development, Fundraising were listed. It might be worth researching (again) charitable status, to encourage corporate donations.
4. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy, seconded by Rob to approve and adopt the Minutes of the October 11, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.
5. Next Meeting
December 13, at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre (Trading Post).
Motion made by Cindy for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.