Executive Committee Report – Feb 08/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
February 8, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Wayne Smith, Hal Theriault, Tim Wilson, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Bear River Pageant:  Susan gave Wayne a check for $11,500 for deposit to the Pageant account from Nova Scotia Tourism; and a check for $3,000 for deposit to the Pageant account from the County of Annapolis.  Digby has approved an additional $3,000 which has to be given final approval at their next meeting.  Hal gave Susan an invoice in the amount of $5,000 for writing, research and setting up the pageant.  All bills for the pageant need to be submitted by March 31.  MOTION: Made by Susan, seconded by Tim to proceed with work on the pageant and to pay all invoices hereto.  APPROVED.  We have a budget for costumes and props.  To find costume and set designers, we will put out a request for proposals, plus personally contact people in the village that we know have these skills.

Savings Account: John would like to set up an interest-bearing account for BRIDGS so that BRIDGS can tap the small amounts that this will yield from the funding that we receive as a slush fund for small operating expenses that are incurred.  MOTION: made by Wayne, seconded by Tim to set up an interest savings account for BRIDGS.  APPROVED. It was also suggested that the power to transfer funds from the checking to the savings account (and vice versa) should rest with the Treasurer.  MOTION: made by Susan, seconded by Tim that the Treasurer of BRIDGS will have the power to transfer funds between BRIDGS accounts.  APPROVED.

Annual Meeting:  the Annual Meeting of BRIDGS is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14.  This will be advertised in the Tributary, and posted in the Post Office.  The office that is currently up for election is that of Vice Chair.  This is a signatory position, as are the Chair and Treasurer (the Secretary has no signatory power).  It was suggested that the new constable of the Digby RCMP be contacted to see if she would like to attend as our special guest, since she is on record as someone who would like to support youth groups.

Youth Committee:  Gerry joined us this morning to report on the Youth Committee.
•    The fundraiser has been re-scheduled for Saturday, March 3, still at the Oakdene.  We need to fill the Oakdene that night, and we need to get the word out that we need more volunteers at the Youth Centre.  As m.c. that evening, Gerry will be talking about this and other issues throughout the evening.
•    We are still looking for two volunteers for the Centre, one to act as a fundraiser, the other to recruit and coordinate worker bees to cover the Centre’s hours.  At the end of April, we lose Sandy and Louise, so we have a tight deadline.  Susan is working on a small Wellness grant to get a fitness instructor for a few weeks, which might give Sandy and Louise a break for a few nights.  She will also get together with Hal to try and draft a grant proposal for a Centre coordinator through Service Canada.
•    There will be a Youth Centre meeting at 6 PM ahead of the regular BRIDGS meeting on February 14.
•    Sandy and Louise have forwarded a wish list to Gerry that we will go over at the next general meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 10:30 AM.

Advertisements