Executive Committee Report – March 12/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
March 12, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Wayne Smith, Hal Theriault, Tim Wilson, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Treasurer Wayne Smith announced that he needs to resign his position as Treasurer, as he is moving out of the area in June.  John has notified Cindy Harris, who serves on the Search Committee of the situation.  Tim offered to contact Don about some possible leads on a new treasurer.

Treasurer’s Report:  Wayne handed out the latest Treasurer’s Report, which included an addition of $1,000 to the Strategic Plan, and over $800 raised by Variety Night for the Youth Centre.

Treasurer Wayne Smith submitted a Treasurer’s Report to the Executive Committee, with a motion for acceptance.  Seconded by Tim. CARRIED.

Variety Night: was successful, both financially and as a community outreach project.  It was wonderful publicity for the Youth Centre, and we have received a lot of positive feedback.  It also set a positive tone for future BRIDGS activities.  John asked for feedback on what might be done differently for future variety nights:
•    Wider advertising, such as The Clare Shopper
•    Organize the event earlier
•    Pre-sell tickets.
Gerry would like to plan the next variety night around Cherry Carnival.  He would like to see if we can find a volunteer event planner.

Youth Centre and Committee: Susan will contact the two municipal disability employment services to find out if we can hire a supervisor for the Youth Centre.  John said that BREDS has forwarded a lease for the Youth Centre to sign, so we need to make a commitment as to where the Youth Centre will be located.  Possibilities currently include: stay in place, move upstairs, move to the Oakdene.  Each possibility was discussed.  Considerations include: heat, phone/phone access, safety of the venue, how to keep the kids in one place (at the Oakdene).  Gerry will contact both Glendean Parker of BREDS and Linda Findlay of the Oakdene and report back at the general meeting.

Annual Meeting:  The AGM will be postponed to April 11, so as not to conflict with the Health Clinic’s AGM.  The regular BRIDGS meeting will start at 8:00 PM to give people time to attend both the Health Clinic’s AGM and our general meeting.  At our AGM, the chair will give the annual update and the treasurer will present a financial report.  We will also need to arrange for an auditor for 2008.  Our goal will be to have a new treasurer in place by April 11; this will give us plenty of transition time for Wayne to work with the new person.  The topic of formalized membership parameters will also be put forward. Membership benefits should be tied to our Vision Statement.  Membership is an important issue, as it will demonstrate to government funders our self-sustainability.  MOTION: made by Wayne, seconded by Tim that a membership committee be formed.  CARRIED.

Meeting adjourned at 10:30 AM.

Advertisements