Executive Committee Report
October 8, 2007
Present: John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.
The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.
Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
• Active Saturdays! is still going strong, but now it’s Active Wednesdays! Everyone meets at the ballfield at 6 PM, as long as weather permits.
• Gerry will talk to Glendean Parker of BREDS regarding the power bill and the rent. We should not have to incur much more than the base price this month.
• John asked Susan to check in to when our insurance renewal is due.
• Variety Night: Laurel took care of the publicity; Gerry and Hal are hanging posters, plus they did a mail drop. Sandy Burrell is doing decorations and Louise Wood is handling the canteen.
• New Employee: Jared starts either October 15 or the 22nd (at the latest). We still need a phone, answering machine, computer and printer. Reminder that Hal will be Jared’s supervisor, and will report on Jared’s progress at BRIDGS meetings in the Service Canada reporting format. Hal can meet with him on the 22nd, is out the rest of that week to a “best practices” workshop in Alberta.
BREDS Fundraiser: BREDS is holding a supper and singing night at the Legion on October 20 to help raise funds. John will put out an official call for volunteers at our next meeting.
Strategic Plan: Executive Committee and the Strategic Plan Committee will review the Plan and come together for a brainstorming session (after Variety Night and before the November meeting). Susan will contact Laurel to see what day works best for her. We may be able to have it after a short Executive Committee meeting.
November Volunteer Summit Meeting: The next BRIDGS general meeting date will be used to host the annual “Celebration of Bear River Volunteerism.” Susan will be sure to invite the organizations’ representatives and contact press and politicos. What do we want to list as BRIDGS’ accomplishments? John outlined them via Youth Centre, Strategic Plan, and the Pageant.
Doctor Search: Gerry is working with Leslie Harris and the Clinic’s board on this. We need to put together a profile of Bear River, past, present and future; plus a package of Bear River perks (e.g. golf package, art lessons, excursions, etc.) unique to our community.
Pageant: Hal and Ken will work on the final report, which is now due to the Office of Tourism.
Meeting adjourned at 10:00 AM.