Annual General Meeting
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
April 11, 2007
Trading Post (Youth Centre)
Present: John Malmstrom, Laurel Shishkov, Sandy Burrell, Gerry Chute, Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, Cindy Harris, Don Rice, Norma Wagner, Jay Stone, Cheryl Stone, Ken Perkins, Wayne Smith, Rob Buckland-Nicks, Carolyn Sloan, Zoe Knorek-Onysko, Leslie Harris, Doug Harris. Special Guest: Consultant Donna Hatt.
1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
MOTION to accept the Agenda. CARRIED.
2. Chair’s Annual Report: John gave the Chairman’s update on BRIDGS (see attached).
3. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Wayne Smith submitted a report for approval. Seconded by
4. Membership: The Membership Committee (Susan, Rob and Hal) recommended that an annual membership be implemented. (See attached.) Zoe suggested that we offer a special rate of $20 for a 5 year membership. After some discussion, it was decided that the special memberships to be offered to people living outside of the region will be non-voting only. MOTION: To implement BRIDGS memberships as outlined by the Membership Committee, with the addition of a discounted rate for multiple-year membership and non-voting status for those who would like to join but live outside of the designated membership area, made by Susan, seconded by Cindy. PASSED.
5. New Officers: The Nominating Committee (Cindy, Don) presented the slate of officers for 2007. John thanked the two officers who were rotating off: Wayne Smith, Treasurer, who is moving out of the area; and Tim Wilson, Vice Chair, who has work commitments that will not allow him to serve as an officer next year. Both of them did an outstanding job, and Tim will continue to serve on various committees as time permits. The proposed Executive Committee roster for 2007 is: John Malmstrom, Gerry Chute, Susan Malmstrom, Ken Perkins, Rob Buckland-Nicks, Tim Wilson, Pam Barron, Don Rice, and Cindy Harris. Proposed Officers are: John Malmstrom, Chair; Gerry Chute, Vice Chair; Rev. Ken Perkins, Treasurer; and Susan Malmstrom, Secretary. As a reminder, the Secretary does not have signatory power. Motion was made by Don to approved the proposed slate, seconded by Wayne. CARRIED.
6. Historical Society AGM: John attended the AGM, where it was reported that they have received a grant from Digby to fix the flooring of the Green Lantern building, which will serve as the Society’s new home. Due to problems of damp, the archival materials will be stored elsewhere.
7. Strategic Plan: John introduced Consultant Donna Hatt; she presented preliminary findings which will shape the draft of the Bear River Strategic Plan. Donna will be joining us at the next general BRIDGS meeting to discuss her research before the final version of the plan is published.
8. Next Meeting: May 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre (Trading Post).
9. Adjournment: Motion made by Don for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:30 PM