Executive Committee Report – June 29, 2007

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
June 29, 2007
Trading Post

Present: John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Strategic Plan: is ready and an invoice will be forwarded to the Office of Economic Development. We will send out a formal press release when the Plan is officially approved and available to the public. Funders to be thanked include the OED, plus the municipalities. Gerry suggested that an executive summary version be sent out door-to-door if necessary. The full plan will be available on the BRIDGS blog. Hal and John will make presentations to the other groups in town. It will also be featured prominently at our next November ‘summit’ meeting of volunteers and volunteer organizations.

Signage: The signs that Rob has need to be installed as securely as possible, with 4x4s and 2x4s plus hardware. Since Gerry has the equipment needed, he offered to be the central point of information on this, and will talk to Rob.

Trails Workshop: Susan attended a workshop that was presented by Recreation Nova Scotia and Nova Scotia Health Promotion on how communities can establish trails and other nature programs. This was listed as a priority by many people who were originally surveyed for the strategic plan, and should be pursued. The Board of Trade has stated that this is something they would like to accomplish, and will be raised as a topic within the Strategic Plan discussions.

Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
• The Music Society is reforming, and we will forward a couple of names of young people to be involved. It would be great to have some informal coffeehouse nights at the Youth Centre featuring young people and acoustic music. In the meantime, we are looking into have a couple of official outings, such as a trip to the Lifeplex.
• We are currently waiting to hear back from Service Canada regarding our application for a job creation partnership with Digby Disabilities for a fulltime employee.
• There is a giant pile of refundable bottles and cans (from the Digby Exhibition) that currently sit in the Youth Centre. Gerry and Susan will coordinate getting them to the recycling centre.

Fundraising:
Susan and Cindy are going to get together in September to begin work on applying for charitable status for BRIDGS.

Bear River Pageant/Play: There will be a staged reading on July 28 at the Oakdene, 7:30 PM, suggested donation. Ticket prices for the play in August were set at $8 for adults and $5 for seniors and kids under 12. Ken will budget this in the future. Hal has worked well within what his funding has allowed. We are working towards making this a source of income. At the August debut, there will be special invitees—please let Sharon and Hal know if you would like to add someone to the list.

Cherry Carnival: Meetings are going well. Projected income: $1200

Minutes, November 8, 2006

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
November 8, 2006,
Changing Tides Restaurant (Trading Post Building)

Present: Cindy Harris, John & Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, Don Rice, Tim Wilson, Gerry Chute, Wayne Smith, Rob Buckland.

1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
MOTION to accept the Agenda. CARRIED.

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3. New Business: Everyone wished Hal a happy birthday.

Executive Committee Minutes: were read by Secretary Susan Malmstrom.

Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Wayne Smith submitted a report for board approval; seconded by Cindy. ACCEPTED.

Youth Centre:
Report from the Youth Centre Task Force was delivered by Hal and Gerry:
• According to the local school bus drivers, there are 200 children in our area;
• There will be a new Youth Centre committee meeting on November 10. This committee will oversee the administration of the Youth Centre for the next 6 months and will try to meet with the volunteers on a bi-weekly basis;
• Some possible events to be explored are Christmas craft making and a seasonal concert;
• Hal has submitted a proposal to Annapolis County for operational funds. We will also forward a similar proposal to Digby. Other possible funding sources are Recreation Nova Scotia and Service Canada;
• Wayne said that the budget for the Youth Centre (when it is up and running) would be approximately $600/month;
• Wayne suggested that the mandate of what is offered at the Centre should come from the youth;
• Hal met with Linda Findlay of the Oakdene Centre. They would like to partner with the Youth Committee and BRIDGS on musical events and theatrical productions.

Village Meeting: John noted that the Village Meeting/Volunteer night has been scheduled for November 27th at the Oakdene. The Oakdene is allowing us to use the facility at no charge. BRIDGS will host the event. It will be an opportunity for all of the village organizations to talk about what has been accomplished this year, and what they plan for next year. Cindy and Susan are organizing the meeting.

Strategic Development Plan: Due to the re-structure of the RDA, there have been many delays to this, and we had to re-submit our budget. The Office of Economic Development has assured us that they will provide adequate funding for the plan.

Voice of Bear River: CBC Radio will be interviewing Gerry Chute as the “voice of Bear River” to provide a report on what is currently happening here via live early morning radio every month.

Looking to 2007: Suggestions were made as to formation of new subcommittees for 2007: Communications, Board Development, Fundraising were listed. It might be worth researching (again) charitable status, to encourage corporate donations.

4. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy, seconded by Rob to approve and adopt the Minutes of the October 11, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.

5. Next Meeting
December 13, at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre (Trading Post).

6. Adjournment
Motion made by Cindy for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Executive Committee Report – June/06

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
June
Trading Post/Youth Centre

Present: John Malmstrom, Wayne Smith, Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, Tim Wilson.

The meeting was called to order at 10:00 AM.

Youth Centre:
• Sarah Peck of Greenland won the Garden Basket.
• John and Tim could not reach Julian and Barbara Graham to work on opening the Youth Centre; Tim will try emailing them again.
• Jane Kingston and Tim worked through the insurance application. The fee is $500. As soon as Tim finds out the terms of the insurance, Wayne will forward the check to Recreation Nova Scotia. John said that we need to have something in writing before the check is forwarded.
• John suggests that Tim ask Jane if she would like to join the Youth Subcommittee.

Other Topics:
• We need to be in better contact with the village at large so that everyone is informed of what BRIDGS is doing. A brief, monthly 1 paragraph press release to the Tributary was suggested.

• TO DO LIST:
1. Tim will contact Recreation Nova Scotia regarding the insurance terms; Wayne will forward the check.
2. Tim will call Glendean to get the name of the electrician who inspected the space, as well as the meter number, so that Nova Scotia Power can be contacted regarding regular service.
3. Tim will draft and John will edit a report for The Tributary.
4. Hal will continue to work on the Economic Development Report.

Meeting adjourned at 11:00 AM.