Executive Committee Report – Sept 10/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
September 10, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Special Speaker: at this week’s general meeting will be Terri McCulloch, who has expertise on Bay of Fundy interpretation.  There is no place at this end of the province that has an interpretive centre, and Bear River could take advantage of this.  Hal said that this is part of the Digby Area Tourism Association’s plan for the area, and Bear River could be a satellite location.

General Meeting: Question was raised as to whether we will have time for regular meeting business on Wednesday.  John will put through quickly any issues that need to be addressed to allow plenty of time for Terri.  Some important items: 1) our new employee, Jared Haight, will start at the Youth Centre on September 24; 2) we received the first annual grant for the Youth Centre from the Municipality of Annapolis in the amount of $1,000.

Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
•    Active Saturdays! is still going strong.  We will continue to offer soccer and softball at Lansdowne Field.  For next year, we may change the day and time to an evening weekly event (e.g. Active Thursdays!).  We will apply for another grant, with the aim to buy gloves and other equipment.
•    Meanwhile, to get Jared set up, Gerry and Hal are working on getting a phone and computer; Susan is arranging internet and phone hook-up; Caroline will be working with him to get properly registered with the RCMP.  Gerry will meet with him on his first day; John will meet with him during his first week.  Jared will report to Hal, who will keep BRIDGS apprised on his progress via monthly report.
•    There is an opportunity for advertising our activities through Digby Elementary School.  Caroline Draper has information on this—Ken believes that it is through their publication, “The Tide.”  We will find out if a similar publication goes out from the Annapolis system, and be sure that Jared knows how to access these.
•    Hal is working with Glendean and BREDS to write a grant which will help bring potable water to the building.  Since they rent to the Youth Centre, this is a health issue for the children occupying the space.
•    Next rent check is due on October 1.
•    Variety Night: is October 27.  Gerry and Hal will have Jared work right away on publicity for the event.  It was proposed that we have costumed characters from the play on hand.  Also, we need to check as soon as possible on the next deadline date for the Tributary.

Strategic Plan: It was decided that the Executive Committee and the Strategic Plan Committee should review the Plan and come together for a brain-storming session as soon as possible.  Susan will contact everyone about their availability for such a meeting.  The intention will be to decide what our immediate, short-term goals (doable in six months) are, and to draft a timeline for short- and long-term aims.

Advertisements

Executive Committee Report – Apr 14/07

BRIDGS Executive Committee Meeting
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
April 14, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Gerry Chute, Hal Theriault

Meeting called to order at 9:00 AM.

Checks relayed from the Secretary to the Treasurer
$3,000 from Municipality of Digby, for the Pageant
$11,350 from Nova Scotia Tourism, for the Pageant
$600 from Nova Scotia, for the Pageant

Contracts: Hal said that a contract needed to be drafted in order to pay Carol Smith for work done.  It was agreed that all contracted work for BRIDGS would be set up so that invoices would be paid out as follows: one-third at the start; one-third at an agreed upon, significant point; and the final third at completion.

Youth Centre: Gerry is working with Steve Trimper, an electrician to find out what kind of work needs to be done to the upstairs space at the Trading Post before we can move.  He is in contact with Glendean Parker regarding our move date.

Variety Night: The entertainment roster is already lined up, and we have volunteers for the front door (Sharon Trueman and Cathy Banks), and Marketing (Laurel Shishkov).  We need to be sure the canteen will be staffed.  Gerry will be in touch with Louise Wood to see if she wants to cover this.

Pool Table: Gerry and Hal are working on getting a better pool table donated.

Treasurer’s Report: Ken said that he will keep a journal in order to track income and expenses.  John asked for a motion regarding transferring funds from one subaccount to another.  MOTION: The Treasurer is allowed to transfer funds from one subaccount within BRIDGS’ bank account to another subaccount when necessary (e.g. use the General Fund to cover a Youth Centre expense) as long as the debited subaccount is eventually reimbursed.  Made by John, seconded by Ken.  PASSED.  Ken was asked to buy a journal using some of the general fund money.

Pageant: Hal reported that all subcontracted work is on track, as is the play.  We may be able to use Variety Night to present a teaser for the play.

Strategic Plan: Consultant Donna Hatt is meeting with the Plan Subcommittee before the next general meeting to look at the preliminary draft.

Meeting adjourned at 10:00 AM.

Minutes, December 13, 2006

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
December 13, 2006
Trading Post (Youth Centre)

Present: Cindy Harris, Norma Wagner, Don Rice, John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Laurel Shishkov, Gerry Chute, Hal Theriault.

1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
MOTION to accept the Agenda. CARRIED.

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meeting

3. New Business
Executive Committee Minutes: were read by Secretary Susan Malmstrom.

Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Wayne Smith was absent. A Treasurer’s Report will be submitted at the next general meeting.

Communications Sub-committee: John suggested that a Communications Subcommittee be formed, and offered to chair it. We need to be sure to meet Tributary, Spectator and Courier deadlines; and we need to work on the directory that was suggested at the Village Meeting in November. Gerry, Cindy and Laurel are already working on the directory. They will contact Peter Newton to ask how best to structure this (web presence, printed version, etc.). We will also need to contact the Board of Trade regarding space on their re-launched website. Don, Cindy, Gerry and Laurel agreed to meet before the next general meeting. It was suggested that they contact Tim Wilson, as he expressed interest in assisting with the directory at the Village Meeting.

Strategic Plan Update: The Strategic Plan will be far ranging and extremely important to the community. We have received a letter of offer, which means we need to supervise the execution of the plan after putting it out to bid. A subcommittee needs to be formed to supervise and manage the execution of this bid. Gerry, John and Laurel offered to serve on this Subcommittee. They will meet as soon as BRIDGS receives the first check from the Office of Economic Development. These funds must be used by end of March, 2007, so there will be no time to lose once the check comes in. We should have a list of potential matching funding entities ready as well. BRIDGS members as well as the community at large will see the plan as it is formulated. The Strategic Plan Committee will also be responsible for the dissemination of this information to the community.

Bear River Pageant: The Nova Scotia Department of Tourism released official word that the Pageant will receive a total of $22,500 from their office. Hal was thanked for creating and drafting this application. Again, funds must be spent by the end of March, 2007. Ultimately, this project will benefit the village, with such upgrades as new equipment for the Oakdene, and summer employment. The board was reminded that these funds are specifically targeted to Pageant expenditures. John asked if Hal could write a short synopsis detailing the Pageant accomplishments thus far.

Youth Centre:
Report from the Youth Centre Task Force was delivered by Gerry:
• The Youth Committee will be working with Andre Bouchard (Municipality of Annapolis) to present their “Dance Revolution” program in the spring. This program will be targeted to any and all children throughout the community, including outlying areas. It will be offered at the Oakdene;
• A talent/variety show is in the planning stages for presentation at the Oakdene in March. This will serve as a fundraiser for the Youth Centre;
• We are currently searching for a volunteer fundraiser for the Youth Centre to take the Youth Centre Committee’s efforts to a higher level. In the meantime, proposals have been forwarded to both municipalities, and Hal will draft a proposal to Service Canada to fund an employee;

Village Meeting Follow-up: The feeling is that we had a strong turnout, and it was a very positive meeting. The discussion centered on cooperation and communication amongst the organizations, as well as the importance of volunteerism in small communities. Every organizational representative spoke positively of their group’s future plans. Our goal for the next meeting will be to triple that strong turnout!

Joint Stocks Renewal: Our joint stocks renewal is due. Secretary Susan Malmstrom will fill out the necessary paperwork before the end of our fiscal year (March).

Bear River Health Clinic Update: Norma reported that the Clinic had its official re-opening, with the Minister of Health and other dignitaries in attendance. Now that they have new staff in place, they are able to secure and provide more programs, which are currently being scheduled. The Clinic volunteers thanked BRIDGS for hosting the Village Meeting, which they were happy to use to inform community members of the re-opening.

4. Review and Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meeting
MOTION: Moved by Cindy, seconded by Don to approve and adopt the Minutes of the November 8, 2006 meeting. CARRIED.

5. Next Meeting
January 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre (Trading Post).

6. Adjournment
Motion made by Don for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.