Executive Committee Report – Oct 08/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
October 8, 2007
Youth Centre

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
•    Active Saturdays! is still going strong, but now it’s Active Wednesdays!  Everyone meets at the ballfield at 6 PM, as long as weather permits.
•    Gerry will talk to Glendean Parker of BREDS regarding the power bill and the rent.  We should not have to incur much more than the base price this month.
•    John asked Susan to check in to when our insurance renewal is due.
•    Variety Night: Laurel took care of the publicity; Gerry and Hal are hanging posters, plus they did a mail drop.  Sandy Burrell is doing decorations and Louise Wood is handling the canteen.
•    New Employee: Jared starts either October 15 or the 22nd (at the latest).  We still need a phone, answering machine, computer and printer.  Reminder that Hal will be Jared’s supervisor, and will report on Jared’s progress at BRIDGS meetings in the Service Canada reporting format.  Hal can meet with him on the 22nd, is out the rest of that week to a “best practices” workshop in Alberta.

BREDS Fundraiser: BREDS is holding a supper and singing night at the Legion on October 20 to help raise funds.  John will put out an official call for volunteers at our next meeting.

Strategic Plan: Executive Committee and the Strategic Plan Committee will review the Plan and come together for a brainstorming session (after Variety Night and before the November meeting).  Susan will contact Laurel to see what day works best for her.  We may be able to have it after a short Executive Committee meeting.

November Volunteer Summit Meeting:  The next BRIDGS general meeting date will be used to host the annual “Celebration of Bear River Volunteerism.”  Susan will be sure to invite the organizations’ representatives and contact press and politicos.  What do we want to list as BRIDGS’ accomplishments?  John outlined them via Youth Centre, Strategic Plan, and the Pageant.

Doctor Search: Gerry is working with Leslie Harris and the Clinic’s board on this.  We need to put together a profile of Bear River, past, present and future; plus a package of Bear River perks (e.g. golf package, art lessons, excursions, etc.) unique to our community.

Pageant: Hal and Ken will work on the final report, which is now due to the Office of Tourism.

Meeting adjourned at 10:00 AM.

Advertisements

Executive Committee Report – Sept 10/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
September 10, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Special Speaker: at this week’s general meeting will be Terri McCulloch, who has expertise on Bay of Fundy interpretation.  There is no place at this end of the province that has an interpretive centre, and Bear River could take advantage of this.  Hal said that this is part of the Digby Area Tourism Association’s plan for the area, and Bear River could be a satellite location.

General Meeting: Question was raised as to whether we will have time for regular meeting business on Wednesday.  John will put through quickly any issues that need to be addressed to allow plenty of time for Terri.  Some important items: 1) our new employee, Jared Haight, will start at the Youth Centre on September 24; 2) we received the first annual grant for the Youth Centre from the Municipality of Annapolis in the amount of $1,000.

Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
•    Active Saturdays! is still going strong.  We will continue to offer soccer and softball at Lansdowne Field.  For next year, we may change the day and time to an evening weekly event (e.g. Active Thursdays!).  We will apply for another grant, with the aim to buy gloves and other equipment.
•    Meanwhile, to get Jared set up, Gerry and Hal are working on getting a phone and computer; Susan is arranging internet and phone hook-up; Caroline will be working with him to get properly registered with the RCMP.  Gerry will meet with him on his first day; John will meet with him during his first week.  Jared will report to Hal, who will keep BRIDGS apprised on his progress via monthly report.
•    There is an opportunity for advertising our activities through Digby Elementary School.  Caroline Draper has information on this—Ken believes that it is through their publication, “The Tide.”  We will find out if a similar publication goes out from the Annapolis system, and be sure that Jared knows how to access these.
•    Hal is working with Glendean and BREDS to write a grant which will help bring potable water to the building.  Since they rent to the Youth Centre, this is a health issue for the children occupying the space.
•    Next rent check is due on October 1.
•    Variety Night: is October 27.  Gerry and Hal will have Jared work right away on publicity for the event.  It was proposed that we have costumed characters from the play on hand.  Also, we need to check as soon as possible on the next deadline date for the Tributary.

Strategic Plan: It was decided that the Executive Committee and the Strategic Plan Committee should review the Plan and come together for a brain-storming session as soon as possible.  Susan will contact everyone about their availability for such a meeting.  The intention will be to decide what our immediate, short-term goals (doable in six months) are, and to draft a timeline for short- and long-term aims.

Upcoming talk about our river- Sept 12

At our next regularly scheduled BRIDGS meeting, Wednesday, September 12th, we are pleased to present special guest speaker Terri McCulloch.   Ms. McCulloch will be sharing her ideas on opportunities to interpret the Bay of Fundy.  For a preview, visit Ms. McCulloch’s (fun!) blog at:  http://bayoffundy.blogspot.com/

 

WHEN:  September 12, 7:30 PM

WHERE:  Bear River Youth Centre, upstairs at the Trading Post

 

Bring your friends! See you there!

Minutes, July 18, 2007

BRIDGS
(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)
July 18, 2007
Trading Post (Youth Centre)

Present: John Malmstrom, Tiiu Poder, Rob Buckland-Nicks, Norma Wagner, Cindy Harris, Hal Theriault, Susan Malmstrom, George Barron, Laurel Shishkov.

1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda
Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.
MOTION to accept the Agenda. CARRIED.

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meetings

3. New Business
Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Rev. Ken Perkins is away on vacation.

Bear River Signage: The locations for the signs have been scouted; lumber is still needed. Hal found a reduced price (under $200 for 10’ 4×4’s). Rob will get in touch with Gerry, and then contact John with dates for putting them up.

Strategic Plan: Has been completed. The plan can be perused and downloaded from the blog. John gave a short review; essentially the plan identifies what is needed to move Bear River forward. Thanks to Gerry and Laurel for organizing the ideas; and to the other organizations in town that contributed much information, such as Bobby Benson of the Board of Trade. It also outlines which organizations should spearhead certain projects. The map is included for the sake of possible contributors. Part of Consultant Donna Hatt’s job is to now set up meetings with others for implementation. She strongly advises we take the plan to the new RDA and their development officer as soon as possible. This person should accompany John and Hal when they meet with potential funders.

Pageant Update: A free reading of the play will happen on July 14. The play will be performed in its entirety on August 18th and 19th with a reception on the 18th.

Youth Centre: A security problem was brought to our attention that on at least one occasion there was unauthorized access to the Youth Centre. This was not a break-in; it occurred when someone who was not authorized to do so used an extra key. A person was then let in, who spent the night and left with $12 in petty cash. We know who the people involved were, but there will be no legal action taken. The door and lock have been changed, and Glendean Parker of BREDS has been notified. Access will now be closely monitored.

Cherry Carnival Update: We’re ready with volunteers, but anyone else that wants to join us at the auction (12:30-4:30) is welcome. Rob and others will be doing clean up the next day, starting at 8 AM.

Service Canada Grant: We will have a fulltime employee starting as soon as possible. We have been awarded a Job Creation Partnership grant to staff the Youth Centre, and we are working with Digby Disabilities to fill the position. All tasks are delineated in the grant and reporting is required monthly by Service Canada. They will also be reported on a monthly basis at meetings to BRIDGS. (Hal noted that the Yarmouth office of Service Canada told us that it was possibly the strongest application they had ever received.)

Pageant Update: Currently Hal is looking for one more woman; two more men. July 28 is scheduled for a public reading, 7:30 PM at the Oakdene; free will offering. Rehearsals are in the evening. The costumes look great thanks to Carol White, and Sharon Trueman is doing a great job on promotion.

Directory Project: Cindy has a draft of the form with minor changes. John suggested that we use the blog for this, which could save publication costs. Cindy will give Laurel a copy of the current version.

Bear River Meeting Updates:
Health Clinic: The nurse practitioner is seeing patients ages 65 and over, not 55 as previously advertised. Dr. Goddard’s last date is August 15. Leslie Harris is creating a goodbye card and people are encouraged to drop into the clinic to sign it. He was only in the clinic once per week, so everyone should note that the clinic is not closing. The next regular meeting is September 4th and is open to all.

Board of Trade: Laurel attended the last meeting, where Canada day celebration plans and re-formation of the Bear River Music Society were discussed.

Music Society: John, Susan and George attended. The former Society is disbanding and reforming. If a new group doesn’t form, its funds will go to a separate bank account held by the Board of Trade. Bob Woods made it clear that that will only happen if a new society is not formed. The participants gave a history of the society. Although it has not been functioning in the last couple years, there was $1800 left behind, plus a sound system that needs some repair. At the end of the meeting, another meeting was called for July 31, at which time people will vote on whether to form a separate group or come under another organization.

Bear River Historical Society: Laurel was in attendance. They are going ahead with plans to renovate the Green Lantern with money from the municipalities. Funds required to accomplish this exceed what they currently have. There will be a fundraiser the first week of September with the Board of Trade, which will be a musical night at the Oakdene.

Tributary Support: John raised the issue of BRIDGS making a contribution to the Tributary. It is $5 per month ($60 per year). MOTION: Made by Cindy, seconded by Susan to support the Tributary at a feasible level, pending approval by the Treasurer. APPROVED.

Meetings’ Minutes: Since the meeting minutes for June were not made available to everyone prior to this meeting, they will be held for approval at August’s meeting.

4. Next Meeting
August 8, 2007 at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre.

5. Adjournment
Motion made by Cindy for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Bear River Strategic Development Plan

[note: the Strategic Plan is 64 pages long and is presented here as a PDF document. What follows is text from the Introduction]
brsbp-final.pdf

Bear River Strategic Development Plan

1.0 Introduction

Over the past year the Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society (BRIDGS) has held a number of consultations within the community regarding revitalization and economic development.
Based on their consultations, a vision document was prepared that integrated the initiatives and opportunities that community organizations, businesses and residents felt were critical for their future growth and success as a community. This BRIDGS Vision document has served as the basis for the resulting Bear River Strategic Development Plan.

Developed as a community economic development strategy, it is important to acknowledge that the resulting plan takes into account and reflects those initiatives that were identified and considered critical by and for the community. At the same time, each idea, suggestion and initiative identified in the original vision document has been evaluated against research undertaken during the development process of the Plan. The resulting Bear River Strategic Development Plan represents a blending of the vision document with the most relevant and significant opportunities for the economic viability of the community.

It should also be noted that the Bear River Strategic Development Plan is a community wide economic development plan. Specifically, this plan establishes a profile of the area, identifies opportunities and offers an action plan that will be the responsibility of a number of organizations within Bear River. In the capacity of facilitator for the development of the plan, the Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society has channelled the energies and interests of a variety of community groups and organizations in Bear River.

Ultimately, however, the implementation of the resulting action plan rests with a number of “Lead Organizations” who have been identified in the plan. These “Lead Organizations” have been selected based on their existing (perceived and actual) role in Bear River. However BRIDGS, as the champion for the Strategy will continue to serve both as the “Lead Organization” in some projects while fulfilling the role of facilitator for the overall development and achievement of the actions outlined in the plan.

BRIDGS further acknowledges that the “Lead Organizations” identified in the action plan are in fact the same volunteer, not for profit organizations that have communicated that they are faced with ongoing operational challenges – financial and human resource. Therefore, BRIDGS will work to support and offer assistance to these organizations in an effort to enhance and expand their capacities to undertake the actions and initiatives.

The Bear River Strategic Development Plan, revealed on the following pages, has been developed by a Committee of BRIDGS consisting of three Board Members who have invested a significant amount of time and expertise. Donna Hatt Consulting was engaged to facilitate the development of the Plan over a
period of several weeks. The Committee had met on several occasions throughout the process to review research compiled and were active participants in the articulation of the plan. Strengthening the process were two public meetings in which research was shared and the community was engaged in the action planning process.

The resulting plan builds on the existing infrastructure and organizations in a manner that facilitates increased communication, partnerships and shared vision for the future.

Executive Committee Report – June 29, 2007

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
June 29, 2007
Trading Post

Present: John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Strategic Plan: is ready and an invoice will be forwarded to the Office of Economic Development. We will send out a formal press release when the Plan is officially approved and available to the public. Funders to be thanked include the OED, plus the municipalities. Gerry suggested that an executive summary version be sent out door-to-door if necessary. The full plan will be available on the BRIDGS blog. Hal and John will make presentations to the other groups in town. It will also be featured prominently at our next November ‘summit’ meeting of volunteers and volunteer organizations.

Signage: The signs that Rob has need to be installed as securely as possible, with 4x4s and 2x4s plus hardware. Since Gerry has the equipment needed, he offered to be the central point of information on this, and will talk to Rob.

Trails Workshop: Susan attended a workshop that was presented by Recreation Nova Scotia and Nova Scotia Health Promotion on how communities can establish trails and other nature programs. This was listed as a priority by many people who were originally surveyed for the strategic plan, and should be pursued. The Board of Trade has stated that this is something they would like to accomplish, and will be raised as a topic within the Strategic Plan discussions.

Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
• The Music Society is reforming, and we will forward a couple of names of young people to be involved. It would be great to have some informal coffeehouse nights at the Youth Centre featuring young people and acoustic music. In the meantime, we are looking into have a couple of official outings, such as a trip to the Lifeplex.
• We are currently waiting to hear back from Service Canada regarding our application for a job creation partnership with Digby Disabilities for a fulltime employee.
• There is a giant pile of refundable bottles and cans (from the Digby Exhibition) that currently sit in the Youth Centre. Gerry and Susan will coordinate getting them to the recycling centre.

Fundraising:
Susan and Cindy are going to get together in September to begin work on applying for charitable status for BRIDGS.

Bear River Pageant/Play: There will be a staged reading on July 28 at the Oakdene, 7:30 PM, suggested donation. Ticket prices for the play in August were set at $8 for adults and $5 for seniors and kids under 12. Ken will budget this in the future. Hal has worked well within what his funding has allowed. We are working towards making this a source of income. At the August debut, there will be special invitees—please let Sharon and Hal know if you would like to add someone to the list.

Cherry Carnival: Meetings are going well. Projected income: $1200

Minutes, June 13, 2007

BRIDGS

(Bear River Innovation, Development and Growth Society)

June 13, 2007

Trading Post (Youth Centre)

Present: John Malmstrom, Laurel Shishkov, Susan Malmstrom, Hal Theriault, Don Rice, Norma Wagner, Rob Buckland-Nicks, Cindy Harris.

1. Call to Order/Adoption of Agenda

Meeting called to order at 7:30 PM.

MOTION to accept the Agenda. CARRIED.

2. Introduction of Minutes from Previous Meetings

3. New Business

Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Rev. Ken Perkins was not present, although he had forwarded a preliminary report prior to receiving a bank statement. The report will be presented at the next Executive Committee meeting. The May fundraiser for the Youth Centre brought in $922.

Strategic Plan: The Plan Subcommittee has been working hard and will be finished before the end of June. The real work will begin once the plan is ready. There is lots of input from other village organizations and individuals. Everyone needs to be involved to realize the goals. Hal and John will meet with the organizations once the plan is officially published.

Pageant Update: Hal will put a casting call out as soon as possible, as there is now a working script. July 14 is the target date for a staged reading at the Oakdene, and production in mid-August. Sharon Trueman is working on promotion/marketing, Robbie Bays is creating sets and acquiring props, and Carol White is producing costumes. These are the incremental steps towards instituting the pageant as an ongoing program. Eventually we would like to hire tour guides, actors (with the larger roles) and an administrator.

Youth Centre: The Musical Mayhem fundraiser was quite successful, despite wilting heat at the Oakdene. Future evenings will build on the successes of the canteen and the raffle prizes. Next show is a fall festival/Halloween theme on October 27. There will be 2 hours of entertainment, and the entertainers will limit their sets to make for a shorter evening. Advertising may include a mail drop.

Health Centre Update: Norma reported that there will be a massage therapist on Mondays; and a nurse practitioner who specializes in adults over 55 will soon be available. There will be a presentation on ovarian cancer on June 19 at 11:00 am. The next board meeting of the Health Centre will be September 1.

Subcommittee Formation: New and improved subcommittees were formed:

  • Fundraising: Rob, Gerry, Ken, Susan, Cindy

  • Board Recruitment/Membership: Don

  • Youth: Gerry, Susan

  • Pageant: Hal

  • Communications: Laurel, Cindy, Jon Pulchny (name offered by Don)

Subcommittee members are encouraged to recruit others to their respective committees, and will be reporting at future meetings on their progress.

Cherry Carnival Update: Gerry, Cindy and Susan met with Darryl Jelfs, regarding the auction. We will need 12 volunteers (some with trucks) to assist with items pick-up. We will also need 2 teams to work 2 shifts (12:30-2:30 and 2:30-4:30) on Carnival Day (Saturday, July 21). An announcement in the form of a mail-drop will go out from the Firehall at the end of June.

Bear River Signage: Rob has some very nice signs that should go up around Bear River as soon as possible. Locations need to be selected, and lumber and hardware acquired. Don, Gerry, Hal and John volunteered to meet with Rob and work on this.

Meetings’ Minutes: Due to the Strategic Plan meeting and our Annual Meeting, the minutes from both the April and May meetings required approval. For the April Meeting: Cindy made a motion for approval, seconded by Don. For the May meeting: Cindy made a motion for approval, seconded by Gerry.

4. Next Meeting

July 11, 2007 at 7:30 PM at the Youth Centre—new location (upstairs at the Trading Post).

5. Adjournment

Motion made by Cindy for adjournment, CARRIED. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.