Juggling March Break in Bear River

marchbreak.jpg
Learning to juggle

From March 10 through March 14, 2008, OARA (Outdoor Adventure Recreation Association) and the Bear River Youth Development Centre held their first March Break Camp at the Oakdene Centre. Over the course of the week, thirty young people between the ages of 5 and 16 participated in games, sports activities, paper making and other crafts, and much more. The highlight for many was creating their own juggling balls from balloons and birdseed, and learning to juggle with special guest Axel Heubach.

marchbreak2.jpg

In addition, the young people visited the Youth Centre (located in the basement of the Oakdene), to play air hockey and Dance Dance Revolution, an interactive video dance game that was recently acquired by the Youth Centre through a grant from Annapolis Community Health Board.

Joe Quercia, Director of OARA, designed the program and led the activities along with four teenaged youth leaders. Mr. Quercia has recently relocated with his family to Morganville from Yarmouth, where he served as Executive Director of the Boys and Girls Club, and launched successful youth-focused programs such as Peers n’ Gears. OARA is currently working with the local schools to offer Pathways & Trail Development Program.Special thanks to Annapolis Valley Health, Home Hardware for their generous donation of crafting supplies, Annapolis County’s Active Living Club 400, and the Oakdene Centre for their auditorium space and access to equipment, and Axel Heubach for juggling lessons.The Bear River Youth Development Centre looks forward to partnering with OARA soon on future programs and special activities. For more information on OARA, contact Joe Quercia at 467-0489, or oarainfo@gmail.com
Advertisements

Executive Committee Report – Sept 10/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
September 10, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Rev. Ken Perkins, Hal Theriault, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Special Speaker: at this week’s general meeting will be Terri McCulloch, who has expertise on Bay of Fundy interpretation.  There is no place at this end of the province that has an interpretive centre, and Bear River could take advantage of this.  Hal said that this is part of the Digby Area Tourism Association’s plan for the area, and Bear River could be a satellite location.

General Meeting: Question was raised as to whether we will have time for regular meeting business on Wednesday.  John will put through quickly any issues that need to be addressed to allow plenty of time for Terri.  Some important items: 1) our new employee, Jared Haight, will start at the Youth Centre on September 24; 2) we received the first annual grant for the Youth Centre from the Municipality of Annapolis in the amount of $1,000.

Youth Centre/Active Saturdays Update:
•    Active Saturdays! is still going strong.  We will continue to offer soccer and softball at Lansdowne Field.  For next year, we may change the day and time to an evening weekly event (e.g. Active Thursdays!).  We will apply for another grant, with the aim to buy gloves and other equipment.
•    Meanwhile, to get Jared set up, Gerry and Hal are working on getting a phone and computer; Susan is arranging internet and phone hook-up; Caroline will be working with him to get properly registered with the RCMP.  Gerry will meet with him on his first day; John will meet with him during his first week.  Jared will report to Hal, who will keep BRIDGS apprised on his progress via monthly report.
•    There is an opportunity for advertising our activities through Digby Elementary School.  Caroline Draper has information on this—Ken believes that it is through their publication, “The Tide.”  We will find out if a similar publication goes out from the Annapolis system, and be sure that Jared knows how to access these.
•    Hal is working with Glendean and BREDS to write a grant which will help bring potable water to the building.  Since they rent to the Youth Centre, this is a health issue for the children occupying the space.
•    Next rent check is due on October 1.
•    Variety Night: is October 27.  Gerry and Hal will have Jared work right away on publicity for the event.  It was proposed that we have costumed characters from the play on hand.  Also, we need to check as soon as possible on the next deadline date for the Tributary.

Strategic Plan: It was decided that the Executive Committee and the Strategic Plan Committee should review the Plan and come together for a brain-storming session as soon as possible.  Susan will contact everyone about their availability for such a meeting.  The intention will be to decide what our immediate, short-term goals (doable in six months) are, and to draft a timeline for short- and long-term aims.

Executive Committee Report – March 12/07

BRIDGS
Executive Committee Report
March 12, 2007
Trading Post

Present:  John Malmstrom, Susan Malmstrom, Wayne Smith, Hal Theriault, Tim Wilson, Gerry Chute.

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM.

Treasurer Wayne Smith announced that he needs to resign his position as Treasurer, as he is moving out of the area in June.  John has notified Cindy Harris, who serves on the Search Committee of the situation.  Tim offered to contact Don about some possible leads on a new treasurer.

Treasurer’s Report:  Wayne handed out the latest Treasurer’s Report, which included an addition of $1,000 to the Strategic Plan, and over $800 raised by Variety Night for the Youth Centre.

Treasurer Wayne Smith submitted a Treasurer’s Report to the Executive Committee, with a motion for acceptance.  Seconded by Tim. CARRIED.

Variety Night: was successful, both financially and as a community outreach project.  It was wonderful publicity for the Youth Centre, and we have received a lot of positive feedback.  It also set a positive tone for future BRIDGS activities.  John asked for feedback on what might be done differently for future variety nights:
•    Wider advertising, such as The Clare Shopper
•    Organize the event earlier
•    Pre-sell tickets.
Gerry would like to plan the next variety night around Cherry Carnival.  He would like to see if we can find a volunteer event planner.

Youth Centre and Committee: Susan will contact the two municipal disability employment services to find out if we can hire a supervisor for the Youth Centre.  John said that BREDS has forwarded a lease for the Youth Centre to sign, so we need to make a commitment as to where the Youth Centre will be located.  Possibilities currently include: stay in place, move upstairs, move to the Oakdene.  Each possibility was discussed.  Considerations include: heat, phone/phone access, safety of the venue, how to keep the kids in one place (at the Oakdene).  Gerry will contact both Glendean Parker of BREDS and Linda Findlay of the Oakdene and report back at the general meeting.

Annual Meeting:  The AGM will be postponed to April 11, so as not to conflict with the Health Clinic’s AGM.  The regular BRIDGS meeting will start at 8:00 PM to give people time to attend both the Health Clinic’s AGM and our general meeting.  At our AGM, the chair will give the annual update and the treasurer will present a financial report.  We will also need to arrange for an auditor for 2008.  Our goal will be to have a new treasurer in place by April 11; this will give us plenty of transition time for Wayne to work with the new person.  The topic of formalized membership parameters will also be put forward. Membership benefits should be tied to our Vision Statement.  Membership is an important issue, as it will demonstrate to government funders our self-sustainability.  MOTION: made by Wayne, seconded by Tim that a membership committee be formed.  CARRIED.

Meeting adjourned at 10:30 AM.